“NUCLEAR-FREE-FUTURE TOUR 2017” – SPEAKING TO LEGISLATORS
We are asking Members of the US House of Representatives to introduce and pass legislation to abolish nuclear weapons and move the money from nuclear weapons industries to environmental cleanup, conversion of the war industries, carbon-free, nuclear-free energy sources, and other human needs –
Eleanor Holmes Norton in reintroducing the Nuclear
Weapons Abolition and Economic and Energy Conversion Act in the 115th
Ms. Norton has introduced this bill each session of
Congress between 1994 and 2015-16 - see http://prop1.org. She has been introducing this legislation for
23 years, gaining a variety of co-sponsors, including John Lewis, Raul Grijalva, and Lacy Clay in the 114th
Congress. Ms. Norton deserves up-front
support and we hope that her colleagues will have their names on the
legislation when it is introduced again.
See Norton’s Dear Colleague
letter in the 114th Congress - http://prop1.org/prop1/HR1976.dear.colleague.2015.pdf
- join Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva in introducing the uranium mining moratorium and cleanup bill Mr. Grijalva also signed on to Norton’s nuclear weapons abolition and conversion bill in the 113th and 114th Congress. He has been working with Defenders of the Black Hills and others to shut down active uranium mines and clean up the 15,000-plus old uranium mines, which are mostly on Native American lands. See https://youtu.be/3-aEheBZ-JI?t=8
We are asking Senators to introduce similar legislation in the Senate.
We are asking both Representatives and Senators to -
- insist the US government enter in good faith into the UN Nuclear Weapons Ban Treaty negotiations. (This is the first key point in Ms. Norton’s bill.) See http://www.icanw.org/ and http://reachingcriticalwill.org/ for updates.
- halt the unnecessary and extremely hazardous shipments of highly radioactive liquid materials (HRLM) from Chalk River, Canada to Savannah River Site, South Carolina. The US has not, to our knowledge, required an Environmental Impact Statement or public education about the dangers involved in shipping 100-150 truckloads of HRLM on our nation’s highways. We suggest Canada should deal with its own radioactive waste, preferably hardened onsite storage. https://www.facebook.com/Stop-Liquid-Radwaste-Shipments-RadioactiveRoads-1794691927525133/
- help St. Louis, Missouri, move the residents living beside the Manhattan Project radioactive waste at the West Lake Landfill, currently threatened by an underground fire out of control. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEkghn88GAI&feature=youtu.be
- investigate and stop the dangerous pollution of the Nolichucky River in Erwin, Tennessee, by Nuclear Fuel Services; insist on a cancer survey and that the NRC rescind the 25-year extension of NFF’s license to operate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCBtHR-cOTQ
- if you support Senator Markey and Representative Lieu’s “Restricting First Use of Nuclear Weapons Act” - S. 3400 and H.R. 6179 - https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/s3400/summary - don’t stop there! Be sure also to support DC Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton’s “Nuclear Weapons Abolition and Economic and Energy Conversion Act” in the 115th Congress!
Here are some key documents which can be printed and
Weapons Abolition and Conversion Bill:
on Congress - https://www.facebook.com/Eye-On-Congress-1620124488290630/
* Current Co-Chair of Women’s International League for Peace
and Freedom Disarm/End Wars Committee (since 2008)
* Co-founder of Proposition One Campaign for a Nuclear Free Future (1990)
* Maintained a vigil for global nuclear weapons abolition north of the White House day and night for 18 years (1984-2002)
* Former Chair of Washington Peace Center Board (2007-8),
* Co-founder of Peace House in Washington DC (2002-2011)
* More at http://prop1.org/ellen.htm