[Presented May 16, 1995, by Congresswoman Norton]
House Bill HR-1647
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
To provide for nuclear disarmament and economic conversion in accordance with District of Columbia Initiative Measure Number 37 of 1993.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE
This Act may be cited as the "Nuclear Disarmament and Economic Conversion Act".
SEC. 2. REQUIREMENT FOR NUCLEAR DISARMAMENT AND ECONOMIC CONVERSION.
The United States Government--
SEC. 3. EFFECTIVE DATE.
- shall disable and dismantle all its nuclear weapons and refrain from replacing them at any time with any weapons of mass destruction;
- shall undertake vigorous good faith efforts to eliminate war, armed conflict, and all military operations;
- shall actively promote policies to induce all other countries to join in these commitments for peace on earth; and
- shall redirect resources that are currently being used for nuclear weapons programs to use--
- (A) in converting all nuclear weapons industry employees, processes, plants, and programs smoothly to constructive, ecologically beneficial peacetime activities during the 3 years following the effective date of this Act, and
- (B) in addressing human needs such as housing, health care, education, agriculture, and environmental restoration.
This Act shall take effect when the President certifies to the Congress that all foreign countries possessing nuclear weapons have established legal requirements comparable to those set forth in section 2 and those requirements have taken effect.