WHAT YOU CAN DO
To Help Rid the World
of Nuclear Weapons
(this means EVERYBODY!):
Phone calls and letter-writing are urgently needed!
* Call AND write U.S. Representatives and Senators; ask them to co-sponsor the "Nuclear Weapons Abolition and Economic and Energy Conversion Act" with Washington D.C.'s Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton. (You can write c/o U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, DC 20515, USA, or U.S. Senate, Washington DC 20510 USA -- or call via the Congressional switchboard: 202-225-3121.)
* Call AND write members of the House "Armed Services Subcommittee on Strategic Forces" and "Foreign Affairs" Committees; ask them to release HR-1650, the "Nuclear Weapons Abolition and Economic and Energy Conversion Act," to the full House of Representatives for debate and vote. Please tell these Committees that it is undemocratic to withhold this important legislation from the rest of their colleagues. (You can write or call as shown above.)
* Write the United Nations Ambassadors for all countries possessing nuclear weapons (Britain, China, France, Israel, India, North Korea, Pakistan, Russia, United States), c/o U.N. Plaza, New York, NY 10017, USA, and say, "Please promise, and use your influence to convince all nuclear powers to publicly promise, 'YES, we will eliminate all our nuclear weapons, if everyone else does.' Don't quit until the job is done!"
If your politicians and media are unresponsive to letters, phone calls, and visits, start your own voter initiative campaign. Sure, you can do it! We did! If your community has no voter initiative provisions, lobby your state legislators to establish that right. Then USE that right to make your world a safer, saner place. Please? And keep us informed?
* Call and write the President; ask him to actively endorse this idea. Address: White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington DC 20500; 202-426-1414 or 202-426-1111-0 (hotline - wait for the operator); email: firstname.lastname@example.org; fax 202-456-2461.)
* Organize a Proposition One Committee meeting in your area. Print and circulate petitions; get e-mail addresses; mail them to us! (PO Box 26, Tryon, NC 28782 USA)
* Educate yourself and others! NucNews is an extensive archive online. "Proposition One: Peace Through Reason" is a video narrated by former nuclear weapons builder Dr. Ted Taylor. ARRANGE TO SHOW THIS VIDEO TO FRIENDS, GROUPS, CHURCHES. Contact us for information and speakers.
* Contact your local press, call radio talk shows, write letters and articles about the need for Proposition One to become the LAW. Explain that it is a promise from the U.S. to the world that we will get rid of all our nuclear weapons if everyone else does, and will use the money instead to convert the war machines to provide for human needs, especially alternative energy industries. Explain that this is a Win-Win idea. Those who are currently employed in the "defense" industries will be able to keep working at the cutting edge of the Clean Energy Age. Those who are trained to work with radioactive materials can help with the cleanup. The scientists can do research on neutralization of radiation.
* Publicize Proposition One in your organization's publication. Spread the word to other activists who might be interested in helping with Proposition One, ask them to put us on their mail and e-mail lists. WRITE TO US -- OR CALL -- WITH QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS OR TO VOLUNTEER - TODAY. Please keep us advised of your progress.