PUBLIC GATHERING PERMIT
Date: December 28, 1987
In accordance with Park Regulations as contained in C.F.R., Title 36, Chapter 1, Section 50.19, permission is granted to conduct a public gathering to the following:
Person(s) and/or Organization(s): Sunrise
Date(s): December 26, 1987 To: January 1, 1988
Time: Starting: 12:01 a.m. Ending: 11:59 p.m.
Location(s): 40 sq. ft. on the south sidewalk of Lafayette Park, west of the center panel.
Purpose(s): To seek Truth, demonstrate brotherhood, and love for libing things, and to overcome my own desires t sin.
Anticipated number of participants: 24
Person(s) in Charge: Sunrise
Address(es): P.O. Box 27217, Washington, D.C. 20038
Telephone Nos. Day: 462-0757 Evening: 462-0757
This permit is granted subject to the following conditions:
1. Permittee and all participants authorized therein must comply with all of the conditions of this permit and with all reasonable directions of the United States Park Police.
2. All sidewalks, walkways, and roadways must remain unobstructed to allow for the reasonable use of these areas by pedestrians, behicles, and other park visitors.
PLEASE READ REGULATIONS AND CONDITIONS CONCERNING SIGNS AND STRUCTURES IN LAFAYETTE PARK AND ADDITIONAL PERMIT CONDITIONS.
3. All laws, rules and regulations applicable to the area covered by this permit remain in effect.
4. No fee may be collected, donations solicited, nor commercial activity conducted, and no articles, except those expressing views through printed matter, such as newspapers, pamphlets, posters, buttons, or bumper stickers, may be offered for sale.
5. The area must be left in substantially the same condition as it was prior to the activities authorized herein, and all litter shall beplaced in the trash containers provided.
6. This permit is applicable only for the use of the area designed above, and during the times designated above, or in any area as may hereafter be designated by the United States Park Police.
7. The use of sound amplification equipment, or other hand-portable sound amplification equipment to be used for crowd control purposes only, is prohibited on the White House Sidewalk (South 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW., sidewalk between East Executive Avenue). All sound amplification equipment shall be limited so that it will not unreasonably disturb nonparticipating persons in, or in the vicinity of, the area.
8. The National Park Service reserves the right to immediately revoke this permit at any time should it reasonably appear that the public gathering presents a clear and present danger to the public safety, good order or health, or if any conditions of this permit are violated.
NATIONAL PARK SERVICE,
NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
APPLICATION FOR A PERMIT TO CONDUCT A DEMONSTRATION OR SPECIAL EVENT IN PARK AREAS AND APPLICATION FOR A WAIVER OF NUMERICAL LIMITATIONS ON DEMONSTRATIONS FOR WHITE HOUSE SIDEWALK* AND/OR LAFAYETTE PARK
December 23, 1987
Date of this application
1. Individual and/or organization sponsor(s):
2. This is an application for a permit to conduct a
SPECIAL EVENT _____
(For definitions, see instructions.)
3. This is an application for a WAIVER OF THE NUMERICAL LIMITATIONS on certain demonstrations. Yes___ No X (A waiver is required if it is expected that a demonstration on the White House Sidewalk */will include more than 750 participants or that a demonstration in Lafayette Park will include more than 3000 participants.)
4. Date of proposed activity: From 12-26-87 to 1-2-88
Time: Begin 00:01(a.m.) Terminate: 24:00 (p.m.)
5. Location(s) of proposed activity. (Include assembly and dispersal areas.)
6. Purpose of porposed activity.
7. Estimated maximum number of participants. (If more than one park area is to be used, list numbers separately for each area. Less than 24
8. Will cleanup people be provided for the area? _XX_ yes ____ no
How will they be identified?
9. Person(s) in charge of activity. (One person must be listed as in charge of the activity. If different individuals are to be in charge of various activities at different locations, each must be listed.)
Person in charge Sunrise
Address P.O. Box 27217, Washington, D.C.
Telephone Nos. (Include Area Code)
10. Plans for proposed activity. (Include a list of all principal speakers and the complete time schedule for the activity. Include proposed route of any march or parade, and plans for the orderly termination and dispersal of the proposed activity which might affect the regular flow of city traffic.)
I propose to demonstrate individual responsibility and moral committment to our religious principle that "sin is to value one's own pleasure or comfort above the life of another" by maintaining a continuous, 24-hour presence WITHOUT what might reasonable be considered living accommodations, to illustrate that the value of a human being is best measured by the being's spirit (i.e. soul/mind) rather than its monetary net worth. We will seek an/or welcome pulic dialogue at all hours, day and night.
NOTE: Our "presence" will be "continuous" excepting we will leave the Park area to wash, launder our clothes, prepare food, biological bodily functions. None of the aforesead functions intermittent, INVOLUNTARY sleep during the course of our presence, but only as nature demands.
11.(a) List all props, stages, sound equipment, and other items to be provided by applicant/sponsor. (Including approximate number and size(s) of supports, standards, and handles; necessary medical/sanitary facilities and other similar items.)
2 signs; one musical instrument per person; one amplifier per instrument; 1 insulated bag per person (during cold weather, to be removed when not in use); literature (not to exceed 2,500 pieces at any one time); literature trays; one piece of 20mm. plastic (10 ft. x 12 ft.); pencils, pens, writing and editing materials; books (not to exceed 10); one book bag per person; umbrellas (1 per person); 1 water jug; 1 broom; 2 blankets per person to sit on and/or wrap up with during cold weather; no more food than mightr reasonably be consumed during a 24-hour period.
12. (a) So you have any reason to believe or any information indicating that any individual, group, or organization might seek to disrupt the activity for which this application is submitted? YES, Various independently violent people who feel threatened by our demands for peace. All are forgiven
13. Marshals: (a) Will applicant/sponsor furnish marshals? (Required for waivers of numerical limitations and for demonstration activities held simultaneously on White House sidewalk and Lafayette Park.) Yes___ No X If YES how many marshals will be furnished?